Facebook, Twitter and more: using social media safely and enjoyably
This course will introduce you to the main social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, help you sign up or optimise your Facebook and Twitter profile, give you facts and strategies for safety and privacy, and introduce you to numerous ways to use social media for fun, education and, of course, socialising.
As well as hearing the theory of how to get involved with social media sites productively and safely, you’ll have the opportunity to get hands-on experience in the FutureSphere computer lab, exploring aspects of Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest that you may never have seen before.
Despite the media’s love of hyping bad news stories about sites like Facebook, there is much to be gained from them. This course will give you the practical information you need to help you and your family use social media sites safely, as well as showing you the many positives that can come out of using social networking.
During the Facebook, Twitter and More session, you’ll be able to:
- Learn about how social networking started, what exactly it is, and why Facebook is the big social media buzz word
- Create your own Facebook account, if you don’t yet have one, and find out more about what there is to see and do there;
- See exactly what privacy controls are available in Facebook and how to use them
- Sign up for Twitter, learn some of the lingo of Twitter users, and see some fun and practical ways to use it
- Learn about other social media sites including Google+ and Pinterest, exploring what use you might be able to make of them.
THINGS TO KNOW:
Participants will be expected to have basic computer skills but no knowledge of social media will be assumed. Participants who already have a Facebook and/or Twitter account should bring their username and password details.
This course was formerly called Safe social networking.
This course will be held in the FutureSphere Computer Lab at Christ Church Grammar School.
Christ Church Grammar School
The entrance to the FutureSphere building is located off Queenslea Drive.
A map of the Christ Church Grammar School grounds showing the location of the FutureSphere building can be found here
Please follow school and street parking signs.
|Sat 08 Sep 2012||9am - 1pm (UTC+08:00)||FutureSphere Computer Lab 1 - Christ Church Grammar School|